7.27.2015

Project Read || June & July

Hey, everyone!  I’m here with my Project Read update for June & July.  I actually read 6 books over these two months (still right on track for my target!) but I’m only going to review 4…it will make more sense as you read.

 Arranged by Catherine McKenzie – Anne is a writer who seems to have everything going for her – except her love life.  When she accidentally stumbles across an arranged marriage service, she decides to give it a try.  The guy that she is matched up with ends up being perfect for her – but is he who he says he is?  Can an arranged marriage really work?  This was an entertaining read.  I really liked the concept of it.  While it was a fairly predictable storyline, it was one of those feel-good and entertaining books that I really enjoyed.

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll – This book.  Oh, this book.  I still don’t know if I liked it or not.  I was initially drawn to it because reviews had said it was similar to a Gillian Flynn novel.  In my opinion, it is definitely NOT like a Gillian Flynn novel.  This book follows Ani (pronounced Ah-nee), a successful 30-something about to get married.  The book bounces back and forth between the present-day and her high school days.  In the present-day, she is preparing to be showcased in a documentary about something that happened while she was in high school.  This book covers A LOT of difficult topics.  And Ani is not very likable at all.  Some reviews I’ve read have said that Ani has absolutely no redeeming qualities.  I definitely don’t agree with that.  I can see some good in her, but most of the time she is just not a very nice person.  Like I said, I have no idea if I liked the book or not, but it definitely left me thinking for a very long time and it is a book that I highly recommend.

Grey by E.L. James – This was the Fifty Shades of Grey story told from Christian Grey’s perspective.  I know the world is split on these books.  I know they are not masterpieces, but I do find them highly entertaining, so I was excited to read this book.  Some people say these books promote abuse.  I freely admit that these two don’t have the healthiest relationship – the way they talk to each other is truly astounding, but when it comes to the other controversial stuff, it’s 100% consensual.  After I read this book, I was prompted to re-read the last 2 books in the original trilogy (which is why I’m not doing 6 book reviews).


Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie – So, when I started reading this book I didn’t realize it was by the same author who wrote Arranged.  How I missed that, I have no idea!  Anyways, this book tells the story of Emma, a successful lawyer who takes a trip to Africa after her mother dies.  While in Africa there is a horrible earthquake and she is unable to call home for about 6 months.  Everyone presumes she is dead.  Forgotten follows Emma as she tries to find her footing in her new life.  There’s romance and even a little mystery in this book.  It was entertaining – very predictable, not at all though-provoking, but a fun read.

As always, leave any recommendations if you have them.  I have a growing list of book recommendations to work my way through and I always appreciate them!

1 comment:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sorry you had some disappointments! :( I hate when that happens! I am torn on Grey ... it seemed to actually be written BETTER than the 50 shades books (how many MORE times could I have read, "I died a thousand deaths today?" ... I mean COME on! LOL!!) but it didn't seem to have a lot of heart -- it was good to read more of his "mom" story, but wish they would have gone into that a little more -- depending on sales, I wonder if she will write his side for each book?